UNLV’s Student Sustainability Council, Sustainability Team and Take Back the Tap have launched an innovative new program to help students, visitors and staff at UNLV save plastic, stay hydrated and offers the opportunity to win monthly prizes.
The initiative sees people being rewarded for refilling their washable, reusable water bottles with the aim of greatly reducing single use plastic bottles across campus. Reducing the use of disposable plastics can greatly improve the environment in a number of ways:
- It can reduce litter across campus, creating a more pleasant environment for its users.
- Beneficial for wildlife which can become entangled or swallow small plastics, this can even find its way into the food supply chain.
- Plastics can take hundreds of years to biodegrade making them difficult to dispose of.
- Making plastics takes a lot of energy so by reducing our reliance upon plastic we can also reduce our energy consumption.
- Plastics have even been found in the water supply in microscopic forms.
UNLV Students and Staff will be able to get a scan-able sticker to attach to their reusable water bottle. Then every time the fill up with water they scan it using the CUPANION rewards app which enters you into the monthly prize draw. Not only that but you can track the positive environmental impact you are having by refilling your water.
People can participate and get their scan-able sticker by following the following steps:
- Get a scan-able sticker to affix to your container from Take Back the Tap or the Student Sustainability Council. Here is the list of tabling dates and locations:
- Sept. 27 11 a.m.-2 p.m. @SU
- Oct. 4 9 a.m. – noon @D.C.
- Oct. 18 11 a.m.-2 p.m. @SU
- Nov. 8 9 a.m.-noon @D.C.
- Nov. 15 11 a.m.-2 p.m. @SU
- Dec. 6 9 a.m.-noon @D.C.
- Sign up for the CUPANION Rewards App to scan, win and track your environmental impact.
- Scan your sticker when you refill and be entered to win free beverages from UNLV Dining, and monthly giveaways of Cirque Du Soleil themed swag. The grand prize is a 2018-2019 parking pass from UNLV Parking and Transportation (given away in May 2018).
For more information contact, Sustainability Coordinator/Rebel Recycling Manager, Tara Pike at [email protected] or 702-895-3760. [https://www.unlv.edu/news/unlvtoday/new-sustainability-program-allows-you-fill-scan-and-win]